Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Transfering a Telephone Line

In Japan, telephone numbers are rare. Getting a new number can cost over a thousand dollars. What I had to do in order to get a phone line is look in the classified ads in the base paper or little ads posted everywhere. They sell for 100-300 dollars depending on who you are buying your phone line from. I ended up paying $300 for mine since I'm going to need it right away and nobody else was selling a line at the time. Some people get desperate and end up selling theirs for cheaper... but the line sells almost instantly.

Well, today I had to go to the NTT office out in Yokosuka. It was very difficult. The lady that helped us connect the phone couldn't speak any English at all. So what she did, was call a customer service line and we had a translator. We had to pass the phone back and forth between the english translator and everyone, including the lady who was selling me the phone line. It almost made me want to run out of the room because the lady on the phone couldn't speak very good English either. It was so frustrating! But, I eventually got it connected. Then there was the internet. They also sold internet service there. Oddly, for DSL, I have to pay about 35 dollars to activate a DSL line. On top of that, I have to find another company to give me access to the internet with a username and password. It was a pain in the butt to figure all this out. It just took a while.

No comments: