Friday, January 14, 2005

Moving into my Japanese Home

I was really excited about moving into my new place today. I finally packed out of the Navy Lodge and moved right outside the front gate. It is quite a trip riding a bike with a huge duffel bag with stuff in it. I should've called a Taxi... but then I would have to walk back to pick up my bike.


Slippery Wooden Floor Posted by Hello

The moving in process was pretty easy. I was told to be at home at 08:00 a.m. I got a call from the intercom from the first floor at around 08:15. It was the guys from the self-help center from base. There were to deliver my loaner furniture. I say "loaner" because I'm borrowing it for 90 days until my wife gets here. That way, I'll have a bed to sleep on and have plenty of time for Socorro to pick and choose the furniture for the apartment. I was pretty shocked at the quality of the government loaner furniture. It was really nice, Oriental style cabinet and dining table and chairs. The bed wasn't a posture-pedic bed, but hey, I'm pretty satisfied. As long as the movers didn't scratch my wooden floor. I got a brand new Japanese style washer and drier, microwave, and refrigerator. They are all smaller than American appliances. When they left, they thanked me and bowed.

Next, the House Hold Goods movers came. I was shocked that they fit a lot of my furniture on the elevator. It is kinda funny in a way. I didn't expect to have my bookshelf delivered because it is so big. But I got everything. The Japanese movers were very courteous and they didn't scratch my wooden floor. They even unpacked all my boxes for me and threw away my trash. When they left, they thanked me and bowed.


Apartment and Loaner Furniture Posted by Hello

After them, I had to wait for the gas company to come and turn on my gas. By then it was about 1500 (3:00 p.m.). When he came, he demonstrated how to use my bathtub and shower, washer and drier, stove and tiny oven. When he left, he thanked me and bowed.

Japanese people are really nice. I noticed that everybody took off their shoes before entering my home. Not a single wheel touched my floor and they all carried my stuff with extreme care and delicacy. It is the first time, I didn't see an American face a whole entire day.


My Mansion Posted by Hello

1 comment:

scottydude said...

Ex,

It is so much fun to read your blogs about your experiences in Japan. You're a very entertaining writer. Reading about your adventures reminds me of the times I visited Japan, though I never lived there. I can really relate to your moments of culture shock and witnessing all the exciting and funny things about Japan.

It's a fascinating and confusing country and culture, but very beautiful. I fell in love with the people and the language. I even married a Japanese girl here in the states, and even though we're divorced now I still have a great regard for the country and the people of Japan.

How long will you be stationed in Japan? Please keep writing and I'll keep reading!