Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Masato-san and USNH Yokosuka Hospital Goals Event

Today, we had a mandatory function where the hospital got together to discuss goals for 2005. We all mustered at the big Fleet Theatre and, in no time, it got packed full of hospital staff. It is something that I've never seen before. I didn't know there was so many people that worked at the USNH. The function was like a pep-rally and there was a lot of singing and dancing. I almost fell asleep at the beginning, but it kept getting more fun and more interesting. We had a visit from Pop-eye the sailorman. We had a DJ and MC. There were videos and music. Towards the end, we all got rallied up got out of our chairs and sang "Anchors Aweigh" at the top of our lungs. It was kinda fun. It's the best "dog and pony show" I've ever been to in the Navy. There was even free food! I like that.

I also had a conversation with Masato. I had asked him, "Why does the Japanese always copy things and make them better?" He told me that they generally take ideas and make them work for the Japanese and also they change things to fit with the life styles of foreigners also. I also talked about Japanese food in the states. And he told me that a lot of the food in Japan isn't Japanese. The food was actually created to fit with the westerner taste and that they create food to cater to westerners. Such as tuna-rice sandwiches wrapped in seaweed. It is a seaweed sandwich with Japanese ingredents. I forgot what it was called... Anyways, we had a good little conversation.

No comments: