Sunday, January 16, 2005

Japanese Ambulances and Telephone Numbers

Today, I stayed at home arranging furniture and items where they need to go. There is still a lot of crap that I need to find a place for. Since I got rid of all my shelving furniture, it is extremely difficult to set things somewhere. While doing that, every hour or so, I would hear the ambulance going down the street. It is funny, because you can hear some Japanese guy on the loud speaker(in the ambulance) saying, "Gomen nasai!" I laugh everytime I hear him. He is apologizing to the vehicles he is making pull over for him to get through! Hehehe! I know in the states, we are a lot less apologetic. We would rather say, "Get the hell outta my way!"

Lately, I've found someone trying to sell a telephone line. Yes, in Japan, hooking up a unique telephone line is very expensive, usually costing over a thousand dollars for a new phone number. With the massive population here, phone numbers are as rare as the pandas. But you can usually purchase a used phone number for $100-$300. I had recently set up an appointment with someone to purchase a telephone line for 200 dollars. She said, "Okay, we'll meet up on Tuesday." And today, I called her back to confirm a meeting place and she told me that she had sold the line already! It is pretty infuriating. If I ever see this "Nancy", I want to punch her in her stupid head and give her a fat lip. She just wasted 4 days of planning, that I could've used to worry about something else.... Argh! Rotten Americans! My Japanese realtor held my much desired apartment for almost 4 weeks, NOW THAT IS TRUST. It is pretty pathetic that I can't trust American's over something as simple as a phone number.

No comments: