Thursday, December 30, 2004

Kannonzaki Park near Yokosuka, Japan

Today, I rode my bike to Kannonzaki Park about 15 miles away from the base. It was a very nice natural wildlife reserve. There were many walking trails and wilderness. It was a definite treat to get out of the crowded stores and streets of Japan. What I found most strange was the animals and plant life. The species are different from what I'm used to from the US. All the animals, insects, and plants look different here. The trees look hundreds of years old and the roots tangle high above the soil they're planted in. The ducks and birds look different. I saw ducks with red eyes, red head and golden wings. The trails were peaceful and interesting because everything is uniquely Japanese like. Every once in a while, you'll see some ancient shrines and caves. The view from the top of the mountain was really nice. I could see the naval base as a tiny dot and far behind it was a giant snow-covered volcano looking mountain which closely resembles Mt. Fuji and next to it was the sea and little islands scattered throughout. Really spectacular views! I regret not bringing my camera. It is a definite trip to repeat.

No comments: