Thursday, December 23, 2004

First trip to NAS Atsugi

I got to take my first daytime trip in a vehicle in Japan going from Yokosuka to Atsugi. I volunteered my time off to hop along on a little sight seeing that someone was going to make anyways. Riding in a vehicle was kinda wierd, especially hopping onto the left side of the vehicle to be the passenger. I got to sit in a van... oddly, the seat on top of the engine and the very tip of the van was right in front of my face. Everytime my partner would drive up to the back of a vehicle, I was scared that we would smash into it. I keep forgetting that there was no hood. My partner just kept laughing at me when I freaked out and prepped for collision. Well, along the way there were a couple of tolls. Each one varying in cost depending how far and where you are going. The cheapest toll was 200 Yen (about 2 dollars). Taking a vehicle from Yokosuka to the Narita airport (close to Tokyo) is roughly 100 dollars one way because of tolls, not counting the cost of gas. It is way smarter to just take the train. Anyways, the freeways are pretty isolated from the rest of the city. They are usually lined up with huge walls which sometimes curl over the freeway to trap in the noise and smog. If you take the wrong turn or exit, you will have to pay for it. You know in America, if you take the wrong turn, you can just take the next exit and turn around... Not here. The Japanese are very efficient with space. Some of the freeways are on top of other freeways several stories up to conserve as much space as possible. Someone told me that the skyscrapers aren't so tall when you look at them when you are on those because you are so high up. Gotta love Japanese efficiency.

No comments: