Tuesday, December 07, 2004

I'm in JAPAN!

Yes, I am finally here. Internet is really hard to access. Especially when my computer is still being shipped here. The plane trip was about 9 hours long from Seattle, WA to Japan. We had two in flight movies and two lunches to supplement for the time change. It was really boring. The difference between Japan and Los Angeles from the sky is that in Japan, you can't see freeways. They really don't have large freeways, they are only 2 or 3 lanes wide. And huge apartment complexes scattered throughout the land as far as the eye can see. To get the idea of what the population is, just imagine California. Now, cram half the population of the entire US into California. Yeah, a small city is the population of 200,000 people. It is pretty crowded here. I had experienced culture shock right from the get-go. My sponsor picked me up in his little Toyota and when I walked to his car, I proceded to walk to the passenger side of the car... in Japan, the passenger side is the left side, not the right side. So I almost got into the driver's side of the car... Everybody here drives on the opposite side of the road. Well, when I get back, I'll tell you more. My adventure is just beginning!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Japan is a fascinating country! I went there twice to visit friends who were teaching English there. They lived in the Kansai area near Osaka. I fell in love with Japan. In fact, my ex-wife is Japanese!

Have a great time!!

scottydude said...

sorry, the above "anonymous" comment is really from ME!