Friday, November 11, 2005

Fair and Equal Treatment for All

Camels in the Desert

This is one of those places that I can experience genuine fair and equal treatment for everyone. When we are out here, no matter what RANK, race or sex, everyone here gets the shaft. Including our entire chain of command (O-6 and down)... Just like everyone else, they sleep in tents and exercise the "buddy system" just like everyone else. Probably because we are Navy on an Army base. But everyplace I've been to, higher ups get treated like royalty which, sometimes, makes me sick. Well, my group finally moved out of the tents and are now squished into a birthing area which is somewhat similar to what we had in bootcamp. It is a downgrade from the tents, that's for sure. A lot less space and privacy. Instead of 14 to a tent, it is now 100+ to a room which means we have to be less flexible with lights and sound because we encounter more day sleepers. But an advantage is that I don't have to walk so far to take a shower or go to work. Work is only 5 minutes away now instead of the 25 minute bus ride. Yeah!

Being away from my wife, Socorro, is kinda depressing. But being with all these other people who are also seperated from their families make it even more depressing. Once, I saw someone break down and cry. It's killing me. I can't wait to get out of this hell hole. Good thing it's only a 6 month deployment. I don't know if I can do it for a year like the EMF Dallas guys. The extra money isn't worth it to me. The MWR here, I can honestly say is sufficient. There's not much more you can do to the community centers which easily get overcrowded. Getting access to the internet takes an hour or two. There just isn't anywhere else to go and nowhere to spend money for things you want. The military store (PX/BX) mostly sells necessities and Army stuff. Not much of a selection of anything else. I find it humorous to see everyone have the same ugly colors of bedsheets. Today, I bought the most obnoxious looking bedsheets and draped my bottom rack with it. Hehe.

No comments: