Monday, September 27, 2004

Oil Changes: DIY vs. Dealer

When you take car to the dealer for an oil change, you get a free deluxe car wash (at some places) and a warranty on the quality of work, if they find anything wrong with your car, they'll tell you about it, your car will have a history of genuine manufacturer maintenance available nationwide (helps if you want to extend your warranty), and plus it's convenient. In DIY, you risk damaging your own car, getting dirty, having to purchase everything you need for the job, having to dispose of the used oil, and being frustrated when something goes wrong (Murphy's law). Is it worth the extra money for manufacturer maintenance? I say yes.

Other guys vs. Dealer: I once took my car to Wal-Mart and the service guy called my Nissan Sentra a Ford Focus... That moron.



Conversation:
diwun67: How can you screw up changing the oil?? It's not that hard, and I'd rather do it myself and use a high quality synthetic rather than the cheap, recycled dino crap they use at the dealer. Try getting a synthetic oil change at the dealer and see how they @ss rape you, and who knows if they're actually using synthetic at that point. I'm a Murphy's Law graduate, and I've never had anything go wrong changing my own oil.

IncrediblyX: Your dealer sucks. Mine uses Castrol GTX. No @ss raping involved.

No comments: