Friday, February 03, 2006

Adventures in Kuwait City

Indian Food

At the briefing, I was told not to cross the street or go past the fish market. After finding the mall so boring, I figured... why not? I crossed the street and left the comfort of armed security. I was on my own.

Outside the mall, it was really trashy. The buildings look like they were weakly built and that they could fall apart. The sidewalks had huge potholes and the smell of exhaust was overwhelming. I got stared at a lot because I was probably the wierdest person they have ever seen. I dressed differently and I looked like I had a lot of money on me. That was my first mistake as I walked into the street side bazaar. There are a lot of Indian, Sri Lankans, Pakistanians, and Philipinos. A lot, by the way they were dressed, were Muslem. The women all wore burkas of some kind. Some only covered their body and hair, while others only have holes for their eyes. The buildings were dark and spooky and everyone wanted to lure me in and have me purchase something.

Something I learned in Cultural Awareness class, is that you should never approach a woman or stare at them. You might get stabbed. So I cautiously looked around and didn't stay in one place for too long. Walking around by myself in this foreign land was very nerve racking. I wanted to run back, but I kept my cool and attempted to blend in by walking into a store. Watches caught a glimpse of my eye and somehow I was convinced to buy something. Hmmm.... Something that I couldn't get anywhere else. Just for my wife.

Out of all of the oddities here, I think the perfect Valentines gift was all over the place. But since, Soco already knows what I got her, I'm going to go ahead and mention what I got.

Guess.

Well, you're wrong. It is not a robot! They don't sell those kind of things here! The two things that sell best here is gold, rugs and purfume. Now, take your guess.

Inside Mall

Third Country National Territory

Third Country Nationals, otherwise known as TCNs, is anyone who is not a Kuwaiti citizen. To be a Kuwaiti citizen, you must be married to a Kuwaiti or be the child of a Kuwaiti. It is very possible that a Kuwaiti will marry a Philipina and her child will be a Kuwaiti. Interesting isn't it?

ATM Machine in a Truck

Inevitible Laws of Success in today's United States Navy.
1. The Philippines is the center of the Universe.
2. Everything evolves around the Philippines.
3. Philippinos know everything. They have all the answers which make them, Subject Matter Experts.
4. If you can't understand rules number 2 and 3, refer back to rule number 1.
5. English is going to be phased out with Tag-a-log. The sooner you learn this language, the faster you will be promoted.
6. If you do not like adobo, panset or lumpia, you must at the very least, like steamed rice. If you don't, you won't succeed.

1 comment:

hunghuynh said...

very good pictures
thank you