Saturday, April 09, 2005

Yokohama - Another Jungle of Concrete, Steel and Glass


Yokohama at Night Posted by Hello

Yokohama is so far, the most modernized city I've ever been to. Yokohama is known for it's landmark tower, Chinatown, ferris wheel, and diver roller coaster that appears to dive into the water at super high speed. Me and Soco decided to embark on a journey into the future and investigate the hugely popular city. I was pretty impressed at the shiny marble multi-plex indoor mall that would almost rival Donald Trump's, "Trump Tower". The waterfalls and American style stores are pretty impressive and so are the price tags. We went looking for China Town without a guide map, and failed miserably and found this little street with chinese lettering. We ended up eating at a Japanese restaurant that served fried shrimp tempura and pork tonkatsudon. It was very delicious. I accidently poured some noodle broth into my hot tea thinking that it was hot tea. It was an incident never to be repeated again. But to figure out how to eat the rest of my dish, I copied a Japanese guy who was sitting across from me. He was dipping his noodles into a soy sauce bowl with his chopsticks. It was quite tasty! Well, we ended up staying at Yokohama til nightfall and I got to experience the city at night. I took some photos and observed how difficult it was to navigate my way back to the train station. Soco kept bugging me about us getting lost, but I kept telling her just to head to the big building labeled, "Sogo". She didn't believe me and was getting frustrated to the point where she was always complaining about her sore feet. Well, we walked a total of 10 miles that day. Good thing Soco didn't convert her US dollars to yen, otherwise she would've gone on a shopping spree and spent hundreds of dollars on Starbucks coffee and clothes. Anyways, there was lots to see and do and it is worth a trip back.


Yokohama Ferris Wheel Posted by Hello


China Town? Posted by Hello

No comments: