Sunday, October 10, 2004

The Need to Do Something

The three basic needs for humans are food, water and shelter. Once those needs are meet, we move on to other needs such as love, thought and creativity. It's hard to just sit around and do nothing. This weekend I am challenged to do absolutely nothing, but it is driving me crazy! The television, the biggest time waster, had nothing interesting on. I tried to read a book, but I didn't feel like reading a book. I turned on the radio... the repetitious music that is played over and over was driving me nuts. It is like they play the same song 3 times an hour. I tried video games. I felt like I was wasting my life. I went out to the mall and Best Buy. You can only spend so much time in those places before boredom sets in. I am disciplined with my hard earned money and I didn't want to waste it on anything right now. I have to save it for the holidays. Why do we humans feel like we need to shop or watch movies in order to fulfill happiness? It is a complete waste of time. I could not think of anything productive to do!

The house is clean, I had plenty of left-overs in the fridge, my wife is doing fine in San Diego, all my friends are out of state... What else is there to do?

I decided to focus on my career path. Every little thing you do that helps out the Navy is a small bullet on our evaluations. So I decided to hit the books and start doing correspondence courses. It keeps me challenged and I set my goal high by trying to finish a complete course over this weekend. Gee wiz.... Correspondence courses??? I am bored. At least, I'm being PRODUCTIVE.

Waste of time:
  • Video Games
  • Television
  • Shopping
  • Internet Forums
  • Blogger

Productive use of time:

  • Cleaning
  • Keeping in touch with friends, family and contacts
  • Study - Homework
  • Church
  • Exercise
  • Cooking and Eating

No comments: