Friday, April 28, 2006

Yen or Dollars?

Wild Bamboo sprouting in front of hospital

It has been raining here like every other day. It is kinda depressing. But at the same time, it discourages me from leaving the confines of the military base. With a van, I can now travel everywhere on base at ease. The Seaside Club is no longer a cab ride or a long bike trip. Getting to work is no longer a hassle, except for finding a parking space. It makes no sense to me that patient parking is almost non-existent during the daytime hours. I'm glad that I work there, otherwise, walking to the hospital would really suck. Anyways, this morning I went off base to help Soco find a tailor shop and they sew patches on the spot in 10 minutes! Really amazing. Just supply your own patches, because chances are, they don't have it.

I was asked, what currency do I hold? Yen or dollars? I must carry both. On base, there are vending machines everywhere that take yen only. Drinks and snacks are everywhere, just carry yen. Every store on base accepts dollars or ATM/Debit cards. The stores off base accepts Visa and Mastercard sometimes, but not all the time. Japan is a cash based economy and people are usually expected to pay in cash. Even rent.

Money I pulled out of my wallet. Yen, dollars and even a Kuwaiti Dinar

No comments: