Friday, May 05, 2006

Worst Pain in my Life

I have finally taken my MRI on my back. Since the hospital doesn't have an MRI machine, they outsource the work to a local Japanese hospital, the Kyosai Hospital of Yokosuka. The trip included a translator/liaison. I didn't realize that I was going to have to lie on my back straight for 20 minutes. In my current condition, I'm bent over either to my left or right side. I'm physically unable to stand up straight without pinching my spinal cord. Well anyway, the MRI tech strapped me down on the table and forced my body into a straight position. I was experiencing the most pain I have ever felt 9/10. A 10/10 would constitute a near death experience by being lit on fire or something. It hurt. 20 minutes felt like an hour. I don't usually sweat much, but after the procedure, I was drenched in my own sweat and I was shaking out of control. I took off the kimono patient gown and put my clothes back on, sat down and recovered from the horrible pain. The next day, I went to the doctor. It was conclusive that I had a L5-S1 bulging disc which was compressing on my spinal cord which involved my left sciatic nerve. No wonder why all the physical therapy and stretching exercises weren't working. The only logical alternative is neurosurgery. Doc said that I was going to be medevaced to Okinawa for a neurosurgeon consult. Soco went with me to the doctors appointment and she is happy to see resolution to this ongoing problem.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad they finally saw what's wrong with you X. I'm here at the Adv BMET school right now, it sucks, but hopefully I'll get some decent orders. How's Soco & the new addition to the family? Goodluck & take care, & hope to see your name on the HM1 list :-)

hunghuynh said...

you need take care yourself

hunghuynh said...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=711308407&n=2