Saturday, May 13, 2006

Cost of Free Medical Care

L5-S1 Bulging Disc MRI (not mine, but what it looks like)

It has been almost 2 weeks since my MRI on my back. The MRI was conclusive that I did indeed have a bulging disc in my lower back which is squeezing off my left sciatic nerve. It is driving me crazy as the pain can only be compared to having your leg being sawed off every time I try to walk upright. 8/10 on the pain scale? Right now, I'm on all kinds of pain killers such as Neurotin and Percocet and an anti-inflamatory called Naprosyn. I'm glad that I'm covered by Tri-Care and I realize that if I wasn't covered, I'd be paying a hefty sum for all the physical therapy, medication, X-rays and the MRI procedure I have already taken. The price of having free medical care is that I'm unable to choose where I get seen and am literally told where I can receive care. Because of being in Japan, the only option is to fly to Okinawa for neurosurgery. With my horrible luck, there is only one neurosurgeon in the entire pacific theatre and because of this, my schedule to see him is 4 weeks away. Damn... Since I'm not having trouble breathing or bleeding to death, I'm not a very high priority in this. So right now, the only option is to suffer.

Exion walking around with bad back and wearing a "desert face mask".

No comments: