Friday, October 07, 2005

Running out of Food


Living out on the Japanese economy has it's advantages and disadvantages. One of the disadvantages is how small everything is. Or maybe an advantage? There was a bazaar last weekend, but I really had no more room in my apartment for more clutter. Me and Soco were totally satisfied with not feeling like that we have to go to the bi-annual bazaar, figuring that they're basically all the same. The vendors sell furniture and souveniers. And for sure, we both know that we have enough furniture and souveniers! Another disadvantage is the refrigerator and kitchen. The kitchen is so freak'in small. Sometimes when Soco is cooking, I need to get in there to pull out something from the fridge (maybe a drink, whatever...). There is a 50% probability that I will have to bump into her in some way to get to that fridge and a 70% probability that I hit her with the refrigerator door and a 90% probabily that there won't be any drinks in the fridge because we ran out. What the heck?!? Why is everything so small. I'm getting tired of shopping for food everyday.... Running out of drinks and ice cream, and having food spoil in the matter of hours or a couple of days. Being forced to, once again, eat out. It is killing my morale.

Me and Soco have decided to reevaluate our living situation to see if living outside of the naval base is good for us. Yeah, it is. We are both environmentalists and figure that personal inconveniences is not as important as being good to the earth. You see, by living out in Japan, you MUST separate your trash for recycling and conserve water and electricity to have more money in your pocket when it comes time to pay the bills. It feels good to know that the hundreds of pounds of trash we generate goes back into becoming a vacuum cleaner or something. Being a dual income family, we pocket some extra cash. We have a plan to purchase our first home in cash-money. I don't want to entertain the thought of having somebody else getting rich off my debt. My parents have taught me well. Buy everything with cash. No credit cards. No financing. Save money! Living on the government's dime (base housing) equals less income. I get paid an allowance for living out in town and if I live below my means, it means more income. We figured that a lot of our problems would be solved only if we owned a car. I'll get one when I get back from the desert... Anyways, I'm running out of food and space. Now I know why Japanese people are so skinny. Also, I'm going to have to start throwing out some clutter for recycling...

No comments: