Monday, September 19, 2005

Using the Military as a "Part-time Job"

Sunset in Iwakuni

We all know that anyone below E-4 gets wages below poverty level. Despite all the so called "benefits" that most of them rarely take advantage of anyways. For example, why would a 19 year old require so much health care? The answer is, they don't. Most of the patients at hospitals are there because of physicals, shots, and emergencies. I would say a good chunk of money is being spent on the service member's family members.

I've been disgusted with the way people take advantage of the system. People don't work hard in the government. They either, work very little or work very hard to make up for the people who don't work. I heard a statistic from word of mouth: 10% of the people do 80% of the job. It is infuriating. And the slackers slip through the cracks and get promoted. Some of them use the military as a "part-time" job. Which, unfortunately, hurts others. Some people put their families first before the mission which is a detriment to the nation.

Well, in my adventures in the Navy, I am fortunate enough to see the world in a whole different prospective. I can see how and where money is being spent in the government. I can see how pitiful leadership can be the downfall of powerful organizations such as our own. Heck, a good percentage of people defending our country aren't even U.S. Citizens! I can't stand it. The language barrier is killing me. But I must deal with it although breakdown in communication causes most of the accidents, misunderstandings and mistakes in the workplace.

It is disappointing to me that the only reason people stay in the military is to collect their retirement check at the 20 year mark. It is common to see people stop working at their 15 year mark or when they make "Chief" making them no longer an asset... just a number to fill up unused billets. Where's the motivation? I also hate to see people walking around acting like the Government OWES them something. Real disappointing. People need to earn their pay.

Yet, I still remain.

I remain in the military for a reason. I feel that my hardwork and dedication has helped saved the government lots of money. I put my stingyness to good use by my resourcefulness. I hope to make rank and make a difference in the younger generation which I'm already doing. Why do I stay?

Because, I'm loving every minute of it.

No comments: