Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Ueno and the Tokyo National Museum






Ancient battle illustrated on a scroll


Yesterday, I had the chance to explore Ueno by myself. Distance? An hour and 30 min. train ride from Yokosuka. About 750 yen each way. The weather? Drizzle.... but, I didn't let that stop me. Once I got there, I decided to go to the "ultimate" museum in all of Japan, The Tokyo National Museum. Inside, there are thousands and thousands of national treasures. I noticed an interesting fact about this place is that Japan is old. Very OLD. Japan NEEDS this place to store their historic art and treasures because the massive urbanation that is constantly swollowing up Japan is quickly making ancient traditions and art a thing of the past. Many of their artifacts are thousands of years old and somehow they are neatly preserved in their likeness behind glass windows in the same condition that it was in.

Saddle and Stirrups

No comments: