Sunday, July 31, 2005

Yesterday's Challenge

Yesterday's challenge was: Get to Yokota AFB from Yokosuka via Train.

Sounds simple enough doesn't it? NOPE! In order to get there, we had to transfer three times. The distance? 55 kilometers away. How long it takes to get there? About 2 hours if you're lucky and transfer from train to train on time. We learned that if you don't catch the right train at the right time out in the country, you would have to wait 20-40 minutes for the next train. Even with a map and a little guidance sheet, we still got miserably lost. And of course, me and Soco found our way there through arguing and bickering back and fourth. We got off at the wrong train station at another city and ended up taking a taxi to the base. By the time we got there, we were so hungry and frustrated, we wanted to go home. We ate at Burger King (which doesn't exist in Yokosuka) and went shopping at the BX. It seemed like a cloud of bad luck was surrounding me. I usually don't get lost, but somehow I lost my sense of direction.

The bad luck didn't end there. Somehow, when I was flipping through some books at the "Bookmark" (a bookstore in the BX), two book shelves collapsed right next to me spilling books everywhere. I said, HOLY CRAP!!! and some guy next to me stated that he was glad not to be standing where I was standing. I went and got the proper people to put it back together again.

Of course, we got lost on the way back. Somehow, we trapped ourselves in the JR Line station in Yokohama station. We couldn't get out! I asked an attendant on how to get back to the Keikyu line and he pointed outside. Well, the damn ticket machine wasn't allowing me to leave the JR line station! I had to come up with a backup plan.... AND QUICK because I can see the fumes coming out of Soco's head. Somehow, I remembered that I got back to Yokosuka via the Yokosuka JR line, but it was long and boring. That was sadly, our only alternative. I took Soco by the hand and went to the Yokosuka line. We got back an hour later.

1 comment:

hunghuynh said...

hihi
you lost too many time than me, when I went to other county.
1979 I been USA ,all my money has only $20 with no job and don't known speak English.
So you and Socorro lucky than me a lot both has good job and has lot of money at hand and has lot of information books.....