Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Why Japanese have to dress up their food

Mountain of Lobster

Yesterday, we ate at an expensive American style diner, "The Roadhouse Grill", Soco suggested that the food there looks so big and delicious, yet when we were finished, we were still hungry. Well, at least I was. Maybe I was a pig... I don't know. The diner's salad bar consisted of lettice, deviled egg yolk, seaweed, beansprouts, slices of pineapple, and orange slices. The tiny saladbar was perhaps had a slight resemblance of an American style saladbar with common Japanese ingredents. My plate of steak was really great. But the harsh reality that we were in Japan came crashing down once I discovered that I actually had 4 pieces of thinly sliced steak with a small mountain of seasoned rice beneath it. Soco had a seafood plate where her dish had one of everything. One shrimp, one squid, one scallop, one clam, one big mushroom in the center, all on top of a small mountain of rice. It does look pretty though. It looked exactly like the picture in the menu. Well, after paying 40 bucks, we headed over to the Daiei mall and I engorged myself with a crepe and Soco had an ice cream cone. Making food look like there is plenty of it, is definitely a magical Japanese artform.

So this is where all the gold is at. Hmm...

No comments: