Sunday, November 12, 2017

Separation Anxiety

This blog is almost as old as my entire career in the military. I can't believe it. I will be separating soon. I still have 7 months to go... Now, I have prepped myself and did everything that my mentors have told me. Get a degree... got it. Get your certifications... got it. Complete your USMAP (United States Military Apprenticeship Program)... done. However, despite all the accomplishments and accolades that I have earned, I feel somewhat nervous about separating. I'm always hearing stories about people not getting employment within the first year after separation. Some freshly separated folks have to collect unemployment while searching for a job... the list is endless. Trying not to focus on the negatives is a really hard thing to do. A new thing that has come up is that there is a 180 day gap after separation before being able to apply for a GS job (federal job). I think that is complete bullshit for anyone that is enlisted and cannot create a job opening for themselves. Oh well, whatever. Private sector it is. Well... even working in the private sector isn't secure either. It is easy to get laid off without much notice. The money is good though, but there isn't much benefits that come from it, like a legit retirement plan. I recently watched a show called "Adam Ruins Everything" and he ruined 401Ks. He states that money that come from 401Ks don't provide enough income to maintain your standard of living... more like a quarter of it if you're lucky. I know that I am ranting on and on, but it is really hard to predict the future. So yeah, retiring from the military makes me nervous.

No comments: