Friday, March 14, 2014

What it is like leading your own non-profit organization.

A few years ago, I had an awesome idea about cleaning and maintaining forest trails.  The trails in Southern California, especially those near urban areas are littered with garbage which was too much for any official organization such as the Forest Service or city park authorities to keep up with, so I started my own non-profit organization called the Trails Preservation Volunteer Group to help offset the balance between polluting citizens/graffiti artists and cleanup crews.

So far, I've led over 25 meetups and along the way, I have met some awesome people who are passionate about forests, streams and mountains as I was.  The experience is truly rewarding and I would recommend volunteering for anyone who have spare time.  In the past two years alone, my teams have removed over 200 tons of refuse and covered 2 square miles of graffiti.  And I'm very proud that I'm making a difference!  Try it yourself.

No comments: