Sunday, July 10, 2016

Pets: An Untapped Market

Did you know that there is $$$ to be made in pets?  If you ever go to PetSmart or Petco, you'll see that there isn't much "variety" in pet products.  Sure, their stores look huge on the outside, but go inside and you'll see that each isle is dedicated to different animals.  Pet stores are seriously lacking in pet products for each type of pet.  For example, the cat isle is usually half an isle dedicated to toys and the other half isle to bowls and litter boxes.  If someone got smart and had a lot of start up cash, there could be warehouse stores about the size of a Walmart Supercenter.  There should be a small zoo and activities for pets to include obstacle courses, various pet hotels with internet cameras, and of course accessories.  These stores should be destinations for socialization... a place where people would want to spend a big part of their day.

Katie the Lovable Cat
 For people that have pets, they treat their animals like humans.  When I was in Japan, practically everything a human has (except for electronic devices) their pets would have.  Everything is shrunk to fit their needs like beds and clothing. 

Pet hotels.  Today, I tried to find a boarding place for my cat so that I can be at ease while I take a week long vacation.  To my surprise, the pet boarding place was completely booked for the summer.  I couldn't believe it.  I even came a month in advance.  The lady at the counter asked if I wanted to be placed on the waitlist.  Of course, I said sure and I looked at the outlook calendar on her desktop computer.  There were 25-30 people on the waitlist for next month!!!  Again, I couldn't believe my eyes.  Knowing this, the pet business is truly an untapped resource.  Only if people knew...

2 comments:

مها said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Phoebe said...

This should be your retirement gig. Make it happen.