Sunday, September 28, 2014

Observances of my years while active duty.

The 20 year mark in the military marks a milestone for the incredibly small percentage of folks that actually stay in for that long.  In less than four years, I'll reach that milestone and it makes me a little bit nervous.  I joined during a period of time when no one used cellphones.  E-mail was rudimentary.  We were using Windows 98.  I can recall vividly when bell-bottoms were worn and I stood watch during the whole Y2K scare where all electronic devices were supposed to fizzle out when the clock stroke midnight when the clocks changed to the year 2000.  The Clinton years were the good times, no one thought about war, the only major thing going on was the BRAC (base realignment).  Bases were getting shut down everywhere.  I remember being in biomed school when 9/11 happened.  The break-room was eerily silent as the second plane hit the second world trade center.  The angry faces of all my fellow Sailors, Soldiers and Airmen as they stared at the television while the events were unraveling had been permanently etched in my mind.  When I checked into Lemoore, I remember President Bush declaring war and sending troops to Iraq.  Some of my fellow friends and Shipmates were sent there and they came back with stories of taking down the statue of Saddam Hussein.  I got married.  I went to more school.  I got stationed half a world away with a weird and quirky culture, Japan.  I was sent to Kuwait.  I traveled some more and got stationed in DC.  I even deployed to Africa and Afghanistan.  Almost got killed several times in my epic journeys.  In some instances, I almost shit my pants but I'm not even allowed to talk about it.  I even honorably served with the President of the United States which was a very humbling experience that made me respect our government even more.    With numerous deployments and absences, I contributed to Navy statistics, I was ultimately betrayed and I got divorced.  The marriage produced two kids who are fantastic little people.  I'm now serving my last and final tour.  Getting closer and closer to retirement.  I've grown from past experience not to trust anyone.  I'm prepping myself for the worst.  Paying off all my debts, saving for 2 years of unemployment and completing my Bachelors in Applied Science.  The life of this Sailor has been filled with death-defying adventure, constant relocation and intense loneliness.  But do I regret joining the U.S. Navy?  Hell no!  All of the above is part of the package.  I look forward towards the next chapter of my life, the civilian life.  I am older, more mature, and disenchanted with love.  I have been trained by the best and I can't wait to move on.  It feels as though as an American, I live to work rather than live to live because living is so mundane while working with people to achieve a common goal is so damned satisfying.



The Lone Sailor Statue which ironically and unexpectedly defines my current life in the Navy.

No comments: