Sunday, May 11, 2008

NEMTI

Land Navigation

I'm at Naval Expeditionary Medical Training Institute (NEMTI, formally known as Fleet Hospital Training)

The classes here are very informative and interesting. We learned combat medicine at the TCCC (Tactical Combat Casualty Course). Here we got to practice doing IV's, needle thoracentesis, cricothyroidotomy, patient lifts, litter carrying, applying tourniquets and using Quickclot. At the end of the course, they tested us in a high stress environment with bloody bodies, bombs and guns sounding off, people yelling at us, the whole works. It was quite realistic.

Another part of the training included IED training, gas-mask application in the gas chamber, the wear of MOPP gear, hot and cold injuries, law of conflict, 9mm Barretta qualifications and gun simulations, land navigation and setting up ISO shelters and tents.

I'm pretty glad to have led my team to every check-point at the land navigation evolution. All we had was a compass, protractor, pen, land coordinates and a map. My knowledge of mathmatics and analytical skill got my four man team to finish the course in 2 hours! I didn't led them in the easiest direction (we had to go through some pretty rough terrain and thick bushes), but I got us there. That's all that counts.

Out on the Range

Inside our Seahut

No comments: