Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Drager Land


This week, I've been studying at Drager Medical in Telford, PA. They have a comprehensive fundamentals course on Anesthesia Machines. Very good class. The instructor goes through everything, as well as, the history of each component. The class cost $5,000 and equipment specific modules cost $975 each. The seminar is 4 days long and includes time on a Narkomed GS.

I'm also getting to connect with Biomeds from across the country. (California, Kansas, New Jersey, Wisconson, Georga, Florida, Mississippi, New York, Delaware, etc...) I also get to see how much I'm worth. The military is paying me crumbs! Getting a job is so simple because there is a HUGE shortage of BMETs in the field. Especially, experienced ones like me. I think somebody wanted to give me their contact information today. I was humbled, but no thanks. I'm stuck in the U.S. Navy. Well, if it wasn't for them, I would have never became a BMET in the first place. I'm like the only guy in the class with a college degree in Biomed. Which is totally unnecessary. The industry is so desperate, that they are hiring electrical technicians that have never ever been to a hospital! How sad. Poor hospital.... better said, poor patients!

Narkomed GS

First Anesthesia Machine Ever Built/Found.
Wall of Ventilators, the oldest being on the top left and the newest being on the bottom right.
Anesthesia machines built in the 80's.
Jim showing off an Anesthesia Machine used on Horses

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That wall picture was super cool. Except that those were vaporizers, not ventilators. Although that would be super cool to have pocket-sized ventilators.

IncrediblyX said...

You're right! Good catch. They are indeed vaporizors. Ventilators? What was I thinking when I typed that? I must've been extremely tired. Thanks

The instructor explained how they were built, which was very interesting. The tolerances are extremely small.